Connecting with your kids as they reach the tween and teen stage isn’t always easy. Playing the roles of chauffeur, homework helper, and all around task master sometimes leaves us moms and dads feeling like we have lost some of the joy and fun of being parents.
That’s why I love, love, love April Fools’ Day. It’s a great time to remind your kids that mom and dad still got it – we know how to have some fun, people! It’s pretty hard to beat Jimmy Kimmel’s annual “we ate your Halloween candy” prank, but here’s five funny ways to prank your kids — without embarrassing them (too much)!
And some helpful hints: Mornings work great because most of the time kids wake up without realizing that it is yet April Fools’ Day! And get that camera ready, but never share pictures on social channels without your kids’ approval.
- Mom, the Milk is Watching Me: I saw this one on Pinterest, but it’s too good not to share and so easy. Head over to your local craft store and buy a bag of plastic googly eyes and attach two to everything in your fridge from the milk to the eggs to the hot sauce.
- Frozen Cereal: If your kids eat cereal, pour the cereal and half the milk the night before and put it in the freezer. In the morning, add more milk and offer it to your child. They will be so confused why they can’t dig right in!
- Unexpected Shower: If your kitchen sink has a spray nozzle, twist a rubber band around it and ask your tween to rinse his cereal bowl. It will squirt all over him. Leave a little extra time for a shirt change, and don’t forget and get sprayed yourself!
- Ruined Homework: Is your child always leaving their papers or books in your space? Of course they are! If they have left an important assignment out, photocopy it and put the original someplace safe. Then as they are eating breakfast, accidentally spill a cup of coffee all over it. Shriek and attempt to mop it up while apologizing. They deserve that moment of panic for constantly leaving their papers out!
- Les Textos Francais: I saved the best for last. Take your child’s most precious possession (it’s her mobile phone, right?) and change the language settings. See what happens when their texts start coming in French. You’ll be EDR (aka LOL).