It’s almost Oscar Red Carpet time! My family loves to watch the celebs, rate their fashion choices…and create a family reading list.
The Oscars are sneaky way to get my kids excited about reading. Books are more fun when you can anticipate watching your favorite characters come to life in your living room.
A few times a year, we sub in a movie that’s based on a great book for our family movie night. The rule is you can only watch if you’ve finished the book. It has really helped jump start our family reading and has introduced me to some amazing new authors for this generation of teens.
Here are the 10 movie/book combos that we have on our list that are great for teens/tweens and parents. I love to make it a mix of new/old; pop culture/classic.
- Captain Phillips – Book is A Captain’s Duty: Somali Pirates, Navy SEALS, and Dangerous Days at Sea
- The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug
- The Great Gatsby
- The Book Thief
- Saving Mr. Banks – Book Mary Poppins, She Wrote: The Life of P. L. Travers
- The Social Network – Book is The Accidental Billionaire
- The Outsiders
- Stand by Me – Book is The Body
- Diary of a Wimpy Kid
- Forrest Gump
Looking for more? Here’s some new movies based on awesome teen/tween books to look forward to this year!
- Divergent – March 21
- The Fault in Our Stars – June 6
- The Maze Runner – Sept. 16
- Mockingjay – Nov. 21
We’d love to hear what book/movie combo has been your family’s favorite over the years! Please share in the comments what YOUR winner is!