Sitting in my sunny San Diego hotel room awaiting the beginning of my very first ALA MW conference, I have a lot of thoughts and questions running through my mind. I really do not know what to expect for this weekend!
I have been to other conventions, conferences, festivals and tradeshows for various industries, but never to a library event such as this and never before as an exhibitor (well unless you count my experience as a film festival volunteer). Besides being very excited to be out in beautiful and warm So-Cal city for a few days (and consequently out of cold, cold New York City), here are 5 things are I am very excited about for my first ALA:
- Meeting up with my clients – forget email and phones, there is nothing like an in-person meeting. It will be really great to put a face with a name and library!
- Seeing my remote co-workers – Since I started back in August, I have had the pleasure of talking with my awesome offsite co-workers almost every day, but I have yet to meet/see/interact with them in person. Can’t wait for Tom, Susan, and Sandi to arrive!
- Attending sessions – As always, our friends at YALSA have put together a great agenda of events. I would love suggestions as well! As a lit and film scholar and enthusiast, I totally relish the chance to hear what library professionals have to say about my favorite subjects.
- Sharing our brand new features – We have so many new and exciting enhancements that I can’t wait to share with our current clients and newcomers: Mobile app, student lockers, favorite tutors, and much more.
- Meeting new people – Whether it’s hanging out with some Mango Languages staff “talking shop” or introducing new people to Tutor.com in the convention center, I love to hear other people’s stories. So far the people of San Diego have been friendly, charming, and helpful and I can’t wait to meet many more as ALA gets underway.
Please help me! I could really use an ALA tour guide. Pass along some tips about what I should expect or do as a newbie at the conference. Also, be sure to come say hi and chat with us at booth 904!