What does it take to become a five-star library in today’s tough times? Just ask our friends at Grandview Heights Public Library in Columbus, Ohio! They have just earned their 3rd consecutive Five-Star Library ranking from the Library Journal Index of Public Library Service! The Grandview Library came in first out of 31 public libraries, and one of 85 five-star libraries in the entire nation!
Check out their website news story: Hot, New and Timely.
You might wonder how Grandview Heights has achieved this amazing feat, yet again.
Well, as library director Mary Ludlum explains, they implement a strategy of serving up good old traditions with cutting-edge new innovations. In fact, not only do they offer Tutor.com to their patrons for homework help and career advice, they also offer some other really neat and distinctive services.
Here’s a sampling of the unique programs that makes Grandview Heights stand apart:
- Every summer they host their largest and most successful event – a 9-week outdoor concert series. Families can enjoy a musical night under the stars as presented by a truly starred library.
- They offer free music downloads to their library patrons. Library card-holders are able to download songs legally and “for keeps” at the library’s expense.
- They have been a delivering a full collection of downloadable e-books since 2005.
- Their website has recently gone mobile and their catalogue is soon to follow.
- Instead of relying on old-school snail-mail and email, they also send out text message notifications to patrons about upcoming library events, information, and due dates.
Grandview Heights has managed to stay current in their all new technology and programming. In doing so, they have become a leader in library services. Tutor.com is proud to be one of those services and hopes to continue our partnership with such an exciting all-star library for years to come.
For more information on the LJ ratings system and other star libraries, check out America’s Star Libraries 2010.