Did you know that some online library programs, such as Live Homework Help®, can be accessed wirelessly even at places like your local internet coffee shop? Students can relax, have a cup of chai and get some homework help! Or, maybe your library is wireless. These tips can help your patrons take advantage of free access.
Macs – Most Macs will sense the hot spot and ask you if you’d like to connect.
- Otherwise, start the program “Airport Utility” in the Utilities folder (in the Applications folder)
- Use the Network drop-down menu to choose the network you want to connect to.
click on the Airpot icon at the top right of the screen and choose the network from the drop down menu.
Windows – Most versions of Windows handle wireless connections without special software.
- In the lower right-hand corner of your screen, click the Wireless Connection icon and a wireless network management screen will open.
- Click on the network with the strongest signal and then click Connect
- If you are asked for a password, but you believe you have free access, ask someone who works there for the password.
Other Tips – Be extra sensitive to the content you share in a public hot spot – this is not a secure network.
Turn your computer’s volume down, or mute it, prior to logging on to avoid disturbing other patrons.
If you are a student connecting to an online tutor, let them know you are connecting wirelessly so they understand why you disappeared, if the connection drops suddenly.